Who says you have to spend a ton of money on expensive roses or an overpriced dinner on Valentine’s Day? How about making your Valentine a hand-made gift? Hand-made gifts come from the heart and are truly appreciated by the ones we love. For those of you who might like to make a gift, here are instructions on how to make an accent pillow.
How to Make a Pillow
- First, decide the shape and size of the pillow. You can make the pillow heart-shaped, square or rectangular.
- Next, decide what type of fabric you’d like to use and if you’d like a solid color or patterned pillow.
- Then, cut the fabric into a pair of matching pieces. You can use two pieces of the same exact fabric or a piece of solid for the back and a printed piece for the front. Just make them the same size and cut carefully so that all sides are straight.
- Pin the two pieces of fabric together with the outside fabric of the pillow on the inside.
- Sew completely around all sides of the pillow about 1” inch from the edge of the fabric leaving one side sewn only three-quarters of the way.
- Turn the pillow inside out then add the poly-fil stuffing.
- Pin the remaining “hole” together then sew it up.
Once the basic pillow is complete, you can add any kind of decoration you’d like. You can add ruffled trim, small fabric cut out designs, flowers, lace appliques, beads, and whatever your Valentine might like.
Have you given a hand-made Valentine’s gift? If so, we’d love to hear about it!